Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Junior Scientists Kids Day


University of Arizona
Junior Scientists Kids’ Day

November 7th 9:00am-1:00pm
UA Science and Engineering Library, Station #49


I presented the kids portion of my Ethnobotany workshop for my Sonoran Desert Discovery Class that I am taking at the University of Arizona at this weekends Jr. Scientists Kids Day. This included displaying basketry objects (Hopi and Tohono O’odham) alongside plant specimens (Soap tree Yucca, Devil’s claw, Yucca root, Straw, Bear Grass, Sumac, and Willow). I had the children try to guess what plants the baskets were made of. Then I explained what an observation and hypotheses were and why they are important. Following this discussion I had them try to use the dichotomous key to sort five different types of beans. They were able to use a magnifying glass and a ruler. If they got it right I gave them a prize (plastic bugs, lizards, frogs, or a magnifying glass). My final discussion included explaining to them that like the dichotomous key scientists ask lots of questions to get answers and sometimes some questions will create more questions. I think I did an okay job.

No comments: